Thursday, July 14, 2011

40 Days of Now: Day 3

(This post is part of a series. If you'd like to know what it's all about, go here.)






Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?

 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

 even there your hand will guide me,

your right hand will hold me fast.

 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me

and the light become night around me,”

 even the darkness will not be dark to you;

the night will shine like the day,

for darkness is as light to you.
(Psalm 139:7-12)

Now. Even now, Lord, Your presence surrounds me. If I hide myself in this towering pile of laundry, You are there. Yes, even there. I sit, cross-legged, on the floor, folding, folding, folding. The repetitive monotony of the task wears away any thought that this moment might be significant. How is it that I am here, stacking clothes and towels, and not in a jungle, searching out that secluded tribe who have never met You? Yes, Lord, I know that I am serving my family. Yes, Your blessings are evident here. We have clean clothes, and plenty of them. But more than that, it's Your faithfulness that pierces through my dullness now. These clothes will get dirty again. And I will wash them again. And again. And I will tire of it. But, You, Lord, never tire. Your faithfulness reaches to the skies, higher than the highest pile of laundry. I sin, yet You forgive and forgive and forgive again. The repetitive nature of Your job does not wear You down. Your mercies toward me are new each morning. Great is Your faithfulness! I am thankful. ~R


So, how are things with you? Did you find Him today? Or did He find you?

Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
(Psalm 36:5)


2 comments:

  1. Jesus, I saw you today in a mom disciplining her child. She quickly responded to his disobedience to keep him safe, got down to his eye level and quietly with firmness on her face spoke to him. I later found out she promised him a consequence that he would receive when he left the public eye. She didn't get angry or respond loudly in her fear, or fail to give a discipline because it was not a convenient location. She was calm, cool and collected, yet engaged, diligent and firm. I know this came from a place of love for her child and concern for his safety. She took the time and energy to discipline him and she disciplined herself by honoring the virtues of patience, kindness and self control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuckling, giggling, smiling from ear to ear because you must be reading my mail, Rachelle. He is even in the mundane tasks of the day... that never seem to end. He has no beginning and no ending and He never tires. I love that about Him.

    ReplyDelete

avandia recall